Why Should I Choose an ICF Credentialed Coach?
The mission of the ICF Credentialing program is to:
- Protect and serve consumers of coaching services
- Measure and certify competence of individuals
- Inspire pursuit of continuous development
A coach who has been credentialed by the ICF has completed stringent education and experience requirements and has demonstrated a strong commitment to excellence in coaching. Certification from the ICF is extremely important when considering which coach to hire. It means the coach:
- Has received professional training from a program specifically designed to teach coaching skills in alignment with the ICF Core Competencies and Code of Ethics
- Has demonstrated a proficient understanding and use of the coaching competencies as outlined by the ICF
- Is accountable to the ethics and standards set forth by the ICF
According to the 2010 ICF Global Consumer Awareness Study, 84 percent of adult consumers who had experienced a coaching relationship reported they thought it was important for coaches to hold a credential.
Working with an ICF Credentialed coach ensures consumers they aren’t in a partnership with someone merely calling him or herself a coach. When you hire an ICF Credentialed coach, you can be assured your coach comes with highly recognizable, global coaching qualifications. Coaches credentialed by ICF have received coach-specific training, achieved a designated number of experience hours and been coached by a Mentor Coach.
If you are considering hiring a coach, be diligent in asking the coach whether he or she has been specifically trained in coaching skills and currently holds or in the process of acquiring an ICF Credential. Don’t be misled into thinking someone is a competent coach because he or she has other professional credentials or sets high fees.